Tuesday 22 March 2011

A first for The Lodge?

I am by no means a mother, but a moth in the porch of the Avocet building at The Lodge this morning caught my attention as being something a bit 'different.' After looking at the excellent UK Moths website and consulting a field guide, I thought it might have been a Shoulder-stripe.

I sent an email to a few experts and Mark Gurney soon confirmed that it was indeed a Shoulder-stripe and probably a first for The Lodge, with no records of the species in the Lodge MapMate database. Hopefully a photograph will follow.

Update: having submitted the record to the Moth Recorder for VC30, (I'm good like that), it transpires that there are previous Lodge records: 1990, 1989, 1975 and 1969. By no means common, but I won't now be able to claim my second first for The Lodge

No comments:

Post a Comment